Sunday, October 17, 2010

a girl and a boy

Early morning phone call...round two. My new midwife colleague called at 5:00am and I did not even wake up! I finally figured out why...I am just like Pavlov's dog...I had not yet set her ring to the "birth center" ring...which will instantly wake me from a dead sleep. I heard the regular ring in my sleep and just blew it off. Anyway, I was happy to be going in to assist a woman who I have known and worked with as a nurse.

The birth was beautiful, number two for Mama, and accordingly smooth and easy...from my perspective...Mama might have other reflections of course. A sweet little (big, almost 9lbs) baby girl arrived around 9:30, born in the caul and a little unsure of her new surroundings. With some attention and encouragement she came around and latched onto the breast and proceeded to stay there for an hour! Just before time to go home, she started to breathe very fast, everything else looked good....pink little babe, no other signs of distress, just breathing very fast. Eventually, I called an NNP (neonatal nurse practitioner) at the hospital and she said we should bring her in. The whole time my gut was telling me this babe was fine....but I had called the NNP, so felt like I had to follow her advice. So, instead of a nice cozy trip home to tuck into bed, baby girl was tucked into the transport isolette and we all climbed into the back of an ambulance. As soon as the NNP saw little miss, she sent them all straight home, thank goodness. My gut was right all the while. I have been feeling bad about the whole hospital detour, but am trying to file it under the 'better safe than sorry' group. The Mama was nothing but gracious about the process and thanked me for making sure her baby was ok....but I still have the lingering guilt about not listening to the gut-voice....

Back to the center....adrenaline long gone and HUNGRY. Eat some food and dive into paperwork...always paperwork. When I envisioned my midwifery path, I must admit, that I had not thought about the mundane stuff like piles of paperwork....

Just about done and get a call from another second time Mama, she is starting labor but talking and laughing with me on the phone, so not quite time yet. Another call a couple hours later, but she doesn't want to come in yet...then 15 minutes later her Mom calls and says she thinks its time. She gets to the center about 30 minuts later....and a good thing....baby boy was born 29 minutes later. A nice water birth with Papa in the pool as well.

And then, of course, more paperwork....but, in truth, I will take all the paperwork in the world to be able to do what I do.....

No comments:

Post a Comment